"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera." - Dorothea Lange

Monday, September 26, 2016

closed



On September 23, 2006 (almost ten years ago to the day) I started this blog. At the time, I was busy planning my first trip to Uganda and wanted to keep my friends and family informed as I made my way. It was important to me that my father, 85 back then, could read about my journey without having to worry each day if I was OK or not.

On of my first posts was about a pair of red shoes. I bought them for the trip, but they became symbolic to me. They were about stepping outside the box, stretching myself, moving into exciting and unknown territory - just like to the trip to Africa that lay ahead of me.

My love of writing and sharing photographs led me to continue the blog after I returned home from that trip. It became a disciplined exercise in journaling; there were many days when sharing what was on my mind helped me better understand the world around me, the people around me... and ultimately, myself. The fact that I actually had readers who followed my musings made me feel connected in a really positive way. I led those readers through the twists and turns of my life, revealing, questioning and learning more and more as I went. I shared a healthy dose of photography, and I wrote about a lot about Change the Truth.

Now it's time for me to step outside this box, stretch myself and move in a new direction, a new unknown territory. After all, not being stuck in the same place is what keeps us vital... and able to move forward.

So, here I go.

Many of my readers have been with me from the very first post; some have gotten on the bandwagon for a while and left, and others are relative newcomers. Thanks to all of you for devoting a few minutes of your day to see what it is I had to say or show. I've really enjoyed this chapter of my artistic life; I hope you gleaned something useful from it every now and then.

If you are interested in keeping up with all things related to Change the Truth, please follow along on Facebook. My photography Facebook page is here.


No comments: